Standing Committee on Public Accounts
The Standing Committee on Public Accounts (SCOPA) (Afrikaans 13: Staande Komitee oor Openbare Rekeninge) is a standing committee of the National Assembly of South Africa, the lower house of the Parliament of South Africa. It oversees the financial statements of all government departments and state institutions, any audit reports issued on those statements, reports compiled by the Auditor-General on government departments and state institutions as well as any other financial statements or reports referred to the committee.
The membership of the committee is as follows:
|IFP||Mkhuleko Hlengwa (Chairperson)|
|Democratic Alliance||Alf Lees|
|Democratic Alliance||Benedicta van Minnen|
The following people serve as alternate members of the committee:
- Ganief Hendricks (Al Jama-ah)
- Marubini Lubengo (African National Congress)
- Thandiswa Marawu (African Transformation Movement)
- Constance Mkhonto (Economic Freedom Fighters)
List of chairpersons
It is customary for a member of an opposition party to serve as chairperson of the committee.
|1994–1999||Ken Andrew||Democratic Party|
|1999–2002||Gavin Woods||Inkatha Freedom Party|
|2002||Vincent Smith||African National Congress|
|2002–2005||Francois Beukman||New National Party|
|2005–2019||Themba Godi||African People's Convention|
|2019–||Mkhuleko Hlengwa||Inkatha Freedom Party|
- "Role of Parliamentary Committees". Parliament of South Africa. Retrieved 6 August 2022.
- "Public Accounts (SCOPA) | PMG". pmg.org.za. Retrieved 2022-08-06.
- "How Are SCOPA Chairpersons Elected Nationally and Provincially?". People's Assembly. 2022-07-29. Retrieved 2022-08-06.
- Page on Parliament of South Africa
- Page on People's Assembly